Digital Media Device Policy
Dear Parents and Students,
Digital media devices include, but are not limited to: cell phones, pagers, computers, cameras, audio recorders, PDA’s, radios, CD/DVD players, USB thumb drives, video games; Game Boy, Nintendo DS, PSP, and other electronic or battery powered instruments/toys. These devices have increased in our community and in the schools. While digital media devices can be beneficial, their misuse may be disruptive to a positive learning environment and may infringe on the privacy and rights of others. In order to maximize a positive learning environment at Valley Elementary the following procedures concerning the use of DMD will apply:
• Use of any and all DMD is prohibited while on school grounds. They are not to be turned on or visible except with the consent and under the supervision of a teacher and/or administrator. If there is a medical or other need, individual exceptions will be considered by the teacher and/or administrator.
• The office phone is available for students and parents/guardians to contact each other in case of a school/personal issue or emergency, 801-452-4980.
• School personnel are not responsible for stolen, lost, or damaged DMD.
Infractions of this policy will result in the following consequences:
• 1st offense – Student will be reminded of school policy and instructed to comply.
• 2nd offense – DMD will be confiscated from the student. Students will be allowed to retrieve their property at the end of the school day. Parent will be notified.
• 3rd offense – DMD will be taken from the student and given to the administration and may be held in the office until a parent/guardian can pick it up. Parent will be notified.
• 4th offense – same as 2nd offense and depending on the nature of the infraction, students are also subject to disciplinary action “up to and including suspension from school” at the discretion of the school administration.
• Misuse of DMD is additionally addressed in Weber School District Policy 8350 (Digital Media Devices) and Policy 5200 (Student Discipline Policy, Safe School Policy).
• The teacher and the office personnel will do their best to guard and protect confiscated DMD, but are not responsible for loss, damage, or theft.
• All devices that have not been picked up before June 1st will be donated.
• Searches of DMD are only conducted if there is “reasonable suspicion” of prohibited content or to determine the owner.